Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Wicked Bad Time


I love Newbury Comics. Earlier this week I went to the store in North Attleboro where I purchased You're Gonna Miss Me, the Rocky Erickson doc, and a used copy of Out Of The Grey by the Dream Syndicate. This weekend it was time to take my kid to Sherwood Plaza store to spend his birthday gift certificate and buy a few more items for myself.
Great trip. So far I've found Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out, which nobody really needs unless you're a true Sell-Out fanatic. I guess I've been reading my Rolling Stone Summer Of Love issue too much because the Jefferson Airplane bin caught my eye. There were about five copies (new and used) of Surrealistic Pillow and I think I've found the out of print one with both the Stereo and Mono versions on one disc. I'm not sure. This is a used CD and I've always checked out used LP's before I buy them so I decide to take a look at the booklet. No sooner than I opened the resealable plastic folder I'm surrounded. No, I'm not really surrounded, but a clerk runs over and says "you have to bring that to the counter to open it". Now these Newbury Comics types are usually pretty cool so I tried to say " i just wanted to see if this was the mono/stereo version" but before I could get it out he interrupted me and says " yeah that's how people steal CD's" and then threw some hippie- be cool and bring it to the counter- bullshit at me. First,I'm 42 years old and don't think I look like a thief (must be the long hair and the Red Sox hat) and second, I'm not gonna bring it to the counter when you're standing right in front of me. I'm buying the thing anyway. This guy isn't gonna ruin my "wicked good time" But he did. I don't mind the fact that I can't open a used CD, I just like to finish a sentence and be treated like a customer instead of a crook. Just another reason to shop online I guess.

amazon.com
itunes
ebay

No comments: